Wedgwood Panel in the Palace of Archduke Albert in Vienna.
History of Wedgwood
Wedgwood (Josiah Wedgwood & Sons) was founded in 1759.
In 1765 Wedgwood created a new form of earthenware, which attracted the attention of the Queen’s Consort, who provided official permission to call it “Queen’s Ware”.
In 1766 Wedgwood created Jasperware, inspired by ancient cameo glass.
In 1812 Wedgwood introduced bone China , replicating the fine tea ware produced in China.
In 1986 Wedgwood was purchased by Waterford Glass Group Plc and later became Waterford Wedgwood.
In 2005 Waterford Wedgwood purchased Royal Doulton.
Following financial trouble incurred during the Financial Crisis of 2008, Waterford Wedgwood Royal Doulton was placed into Administration in February 2009.
KPS Capital Partners purchased a majority of the assets of Waterford Wedgwood Royal Doulton in March 2009.
Today Wedgwood is part of a Group of Companies owned by Fiskars Corporation of Finland, who purchased Waterford Wedgwood Royal Doulton (WWRD) from KPS Capital in 2015.
The contents of the Wedgwood Museum are today housed in the Albert and Victoria Museum.
Wedgwood plate, part of a service made for Catherine II of Russia in 1774.